Blogger Tips and TricksLatest Tips And TricksBlogger Tricks

A Photographic Perspective: Nalissa Cuthbert

Posted on
  • 04 September 2012
  • by
  • Unknown
  • in
  • Labels: , , , ,

  • They say a picture is worth 1000 words. Well what about the person behind the camera? What makes a great photographer? With all these photo-editing apps how does the real talent stand out ? Authenticity can be found through words, perspective and of course photographs. Only a  few in a sea of many fully appreciate the true art of photography and the memories it captures.

    I can't remember ever seeing Nalissa without a camera, her creative spirit has always been contagious. Her photographs capture more than just a "picture". She captures emotion, the atmosphere, and the passion of her subjects. This girl right here, is truly a photographer. 

    HH:When did your love affair with photography begin ? Any formal training ? 
    NC: High school probably marks my earliest memories of "loving" photography. Even then I don't know if I necessarily had a passion for it, but I felt a certain agency being behind the camera. And I had an interest in developing my eye or perspective. In his heyday my dad was a photographer in his own right so the genetic inclination has been there :)

    As far as formal training I minored in photography @ Pace U, which was the best thing I could have done. Not to say that photographers need formal training; I don't believe that to be true. But being afforded the opportunity to study the art and develop my aesthetic amongst other aspiring artists was wonderful. I think it's useful for any artist of any kind to have their work criticized in a constructive way. If your work is truly for the people or the public then let it be that. And for an indecisive, scatter-brained person like myself it's the only way I would have pursued photography past taking FB pictures of my friends.
    HH:What type of camera and lens do you prefer to work with ?
    NC: Right now I'm using a Nikon D3000 with a 55mm lens. Great foundation but I'd love to upgrade SOON. Zoom lens, bulb flash, yadda yadda. If everything goes as planned my apartment will be converted to a studio by next year. And I will be king.

    But make no mistake my Nikon 35 mm camera is still my crown jewel. If film wasn't such an expensive and impractical medium I would definitely use it more often. There's an ingenuity to film photos.. and having learned and come to appreciate the developing process I'm sad it's a dying breed. My first professional camera was my dad's Canon A-1 35mm SLR. I absolutely loved that camera; I felt like it had seen so much before me. It was a privilege to be able to put some miles on it. Perhaps my short lived affair with that camera is when I fell in love with photography ?

    HH: When/Where do you find yourself most inspired ? 
    NC: Gosh... I'm not sure. I remember telling a friend that I see in pictures. No matter where I am I'm always mentally snapping away... visually there is so much to capture. 
    There isn't necessarily a specific constant that moves me to shoot all the time , life in itself fluctuates too much for that. People inspire me. Quiet intricacies like broken glass or ironic juxtapositions inspire me. Constantly chasing "the image" is what inspires me. The satisfaction that comes with successfully relaying a message or speaking with my art is unparalleled. 

    HH: Do you aspire to be a professional photographer or do it as a hobby ? 
    NC: Ah. Hobby sounds so rift-raft. I fear professional photography because I know there's a possibility that it will become a job. I don't want that. I've already had to come to terms with that with my writing, and I don't want both of my muses to become sources of income. I do freelancey kind of work but I'd rather not end up shooting elementary school yearbook pictures in pursuit of my passion. I want it to stay pure. 
     HH: Does living in Brooklyn inspire you ? How so or why not ? 
    NC: Brooklyn is like the true melting pot of New York. Manhattan gets all the credit, but Brooklyn is so immensely rich in culture. EVERYONE lives in Brooklyn. With that I admit that I can sometimes overlook it's value because I'm rushing to get home, or something like that. Beyond the fact that it's just a motivating space and some the most beautiful people in my life reside here, I guess Brooklyn inspires me because it's some sort of strangely manifested reflection of who I am at this point in my life. In many senses I feel like I am Brooklyn and vice versus.
     
    HH: Any tips for aspiring photographers?
    NC:
    Aspire. Stay honest. Only doubt yourself from within your own head... And repress the fear that Instagram will kill the photographer like MP3's killed the CD. It's an immortal art form to those that appreciate its essence. :)
    HH: What social networks are you on ?
    NC: 
    Lots!
    Twitter: @nuckng_futs
    Facebook: Nalissa Cuthbert
    Flickr: myvisualperception
    blog.missesdressy.com


    1 comments:

    VirgilioC said...

    Wonderful piece and interesting reflections about the art of photography...

    Post a Comment

     
    Copyright 2012-2013 Haute Hemisphere