Blogger Tips and TricksLatest Tips And TricksBlogger Tricks

For The Shepherd, Not The Sheep : Afritali

Posted on
  • 05 September 2012
  • by
  • Unknown
  • in
  • Labels: ,


  • Afritali designs infuse Ghanian prints with trendy western silhouettes. Designer Josephine Todd had the opportunity to spend her childhood in Ghana before moving here to the States. Her international upbringing has given  her design aesthetic a bold  classic twist. With African Fashion Week New York (AFWNY)  now under her belt,  her new main focus is making her brand known across the globe . This brand is not for the average fashionista, think more like for the  Shepherd, not the sheep. 

    HH:As a designer what is the difference in your opinion between fashion and style? 
    JT: As a designer I believe been unique is what separates you from other designers, with that said FASHION is a trend that many copy but STYLE is individuality. Personal style is what makes trends. Is either you have it or you don't.

    HH:Who is the Afritali client? How does your brand standout in the global fashion industry? 
    JT: Afritali client is an individual who is not afraid to stand out. It's a person who does not demand attention but attention will be paid to them. Afritali client is definitely the sheperd not the sheep.

    HH:How was your experience showing in African Fashion Week (AFWNY)? Where will you be showing next ? 
    JT: African Fashion week was a very exciting time for me as an upcoming designer. I was surrounded by very talented and experienced designers and talking to them and sharing thoughts was very educational for me.

    HH: How does your Ghanaian heritage influence your designs as well as personal style?
    JT: Being born and raised in Ghana half my life is an advantage I cannot trade. I realized that these two cultures has made me who I am as a confident woman. I have always loved prints because as a young girl my mother owned a business selling prints. When I moved to the US I also fell in love with the fashion here. I wanted to put into my designs who I am, which is a beautiful mesh of two amazing worlds and I am lucky to be able to do so.
    HH: Describe your creative process when designing a collection .
    JT:
    I could very well go months without designing, and very well design a collection in a week. I first and foremost need inspiration from anything. Could go for a walk, hiking or to the mall. These are things I do that clear my head. Once my mind is clear, a color,shape a person could spark an inspiration that starts a spin of designs.

    HH: Any upcoming projects/shows or events ?
    JT: There will be a fashion trunk show in NC . As soon as a have def dates I will love to update you.

    HH: Favorite three items in your closet currently ? 
    JT: A lace rocker jacket, construction boots,oversize Jean t shirt that can be casual or dressed up.


    0 comments:

    Post a Comment

     
    Copyright 2012-2013 Haute Hemisphere